Sunday, April 22, 2012

How to fix your mala tassels


How to fix your mala tassels


I have been living in Guangzhou for quite a few years. But, two days ago I just arrived in Shanghai. I packed a lot of my malas and dzi beads, both personal one and ones to sell. 

When I unpacked one of my mala necklaces the tassel was a Mess! And, mess is an understatement! It looked like a ball of tangled, matted, messy, fur and string! I thought I'd have to buy a new tassel and take my mala apart and remake the whole thing!

I tired to comb through the tassel with my fingers, but the silk strings were bent, creased and not going to lay flat at all! I wasn't ready to take this mala apart, so I started looking around the house for an iron! As, its a new house and we just moved in, we I had no luck finding an iron. My husband suggested laying it flat between some books. But, the only books we had weren't nearly heavy enough! As I kept unpacking the rest of my suitcases I found an the perfect unconventional solution! My hair straightner!

Slowly, piece by piece I used my hair straightner and it worked! I used the lowest setting so I didn't burn any of the tassel. And was sure not to tug on the pieces to hard and ruin the knot. But, it's flat and looks brand new!

So, if your mala tassel needs a little flattening I suggest a hair straightener! If you don't have one try an iron on the lowest setting, possibly with a thin towel over top, to prevent any damage!

Good Luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment