Sunday, April 22, 2012

should my mala be elastic or string?




One question that we get asked a lot is - should my mala be elastic or string?

Here is my advice. 

Mala bracelet, definitely elastic! I wear my mala everyday, so it gets a lot of wear and tear. Make sure your mala bracelet is either thick elastic cord or stretchy string. But, if your using stretchy string, use at least three pieces of the string and don't use any that is starting to fray or separate, it won't be durable or last long very long. 

Mala necklace, it depends on the bead size and if you want to wear it around or neck or wrist. I have a 5mm rosewood mala that I wear nearly everyday. I made it with thick elastic cord. But, because the beads are so tiny I wrap it around my wrist 3 times, so the elastic is perfect. This mala I have had about a year and a half. I wear it everyday and it still feels brand new. 

I have had so many custom orders for mala necklaces and most people want their mala necklace to be worn as a necklace. It just comes down to personal preference. If you are going to wear yours as a necklace, I highly suggest non stretchy string or cord. It will be more durable and last much longer.  

No comments:

Post a Comment