Sunday, April 22, 2012

Relaxing with a prayer wheel



I just started rereading the book 'Eat, Pray, Love'. English books are a little hard to come by here in Guangzhou, so I always end up reading and rereading all the books I find. 

One of the lines this time really stood out to me and I've been thinking about it quite a bit. While she is in India, someone tells her the mind only wants peace and quiet. But, all day it hears yelling, clanging, talking, buzzing, just Noise!

If that is what our minds really want, then why are we doing everything so backwards? We wake up to buzzing alarm clocks, we have the radio on, the tv on or our ipods cranked up, ringing phones, cell phones buzzing, gps chatting at us! Just non stop noise!

So, I started thinking how often do I have quite in my life? And, this really made me laugh! My husband is a DJ and wherever he is, there is a lot of music! haha

But, when I at working I make an effort to keep the tv turned off, radio off, no ipods, just quietness.  I try and set aside time each day to make malas. When I do this I keep the house quite. It really helps me clear my mind and really help me!

In Tibet and in some parts of China people use prayer wheels. I think this is an amazing idea. The idea is that using the prayer wheel keeps your mind and body together, thinking and doing the same thing. Your body and your hand is spinning the prayer wheel and you mind is saying a mantra.  It keeps you focused, calm and very relaxed. And best part of all, your mind has the quiet it has been begging you for!

No comments:

Post a Comment