Sunday, April 22, 2012

Leaving Guiyang and Miao Silver...back to Guangzhou



For the last month my husband and I have been in Guiyang, Guizhou, China.  It's a stunning city, surrounded by the Himalayan mountains. We are actually about 1600 meters above sea level and pretty cold right now. There are tons of parks, waterfalls, hills, mountains and even monkeys! 

Guizhou has a lot of minority's through the province. The largest being the Miao people. Maybe you have heard of Miao silver? Well, it comes from this city and it is Everywhere!

Before we came to Guiyang I did some research on the internet about Miao silver. Hmmmm... You don't really get a good impression, at all, of Miao silver. It seems the first few pages that come up are saying how terrible the silver is and avoid buying Miao jewelry. 

Once, I got to Guiyang I started doing some of my own research. Miao silver, is Miao silver! It has never claimed to be pure silver and it's not. People selling the jewelry will tell you that right away, just ask. The jewelry is a mix of silver and other metals. The metals used vary from piece to piece. This is because Guizhou is the poorest province in China, so the jewelry makers use whatever metals they can get a hold of.

The Miao jewelry is beautiful. Its not pure silver, but its not pure silver price either. It won't turn your skin green. But, if you have very sensitive ears, maybe don't wear Miao silver earrings everyday.

Miao people say that you should wear at least one piece of silver jewelry everyday and the longer you wear it the shinier it will become. I had heard this before, but never really thought too much of it. But, after being in Guiyang for over a month and seeing so many people, rich, poor, students, babies, Grandparents, workers, street beggars- it's really true! Nearly every Miao person I saw had something silver on, mostly silver bracelets or big shiny bangles. It is winter here and pretty cold, but I did get a glimpse at some very elaborate, very big necklaces, from a few people who happened to have their winter coats undone. 

I was also told that most people wear a Miao silver bracelet or bangle so they can keep track of their health. I was really curious when I heard this. Apparently, when the silver is really white and shiny you are healthy, but when it turns black and dull you are getting sick and should go to the doctor. I think I may try this one out! 

There are plenty of places to buy jewelry and jewelry supplies in the city. I love malas, so of course I stocked up on mala beads, mala string and some amazing tassels. I can't wait for everyone to see them! But, buying silver pieces may be even easier! On the sidewalks in the busiest areas of town there are tons of vendors, selling food, flowers, balloons, and giant baskets of Miao silver. There are two kinds of Miao silver, one is called white Miao silver, it is really light, almost white and very shiny, the other is Miao silver, darker in color and if there are any indents in the pattern usually these are blackened. This is my favorite of the two. It looks a little aged, a little rustic, bohemian, I love it! 

If you happen to ever find yourself in Guiyang and you see one of the girls with the big wicker baskets full of Miao silver jewelry, i suggest you look through it all! Take a half hour or more and sift through all the pieces. You'll find some real treasures and don't forget- barter like crazy, but I guess that's half the fun!

I got a pair of Miao silver earrings and a matching necklace from a friend, for my birthday, while I was here visiting Guiyang. They are stunning! The necklace must have at least a dozen tiny silver bells hanging from the bottom. Apparently to keep evil spirits away.
Miao people are very superstitious and I love it! I enjoyed every moment in Guiyang and anyone thinking about a trip to Western China I would highly recommend coming here for a relaxed visit out of the big, busy cities. 

3880

No comments:

Post a Comment